Thursday, May 28, 2009

love and boxing



so nick and i's one year anniversary is on saturday. we've been going over gift ideas for each other. nick asked me if i'd like a new boxing stand for my heavy bag. i know: aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwww!!! i've got one now under my house that is just too big and tall to put anywhere. so it's been sitting under my house unused and unloved since i moved in last september. nick knows that i miss boxing and i miss having it around. plus,i've got a horrible pavlov's dog reaction to hearing anything by rage against the machine and not having something near me that is punchable. so his gift idea was getting me something more compact that i can leave on his back porch. so today we started looking at options and whatnot. i found the dreamiest boxing set up ever! of course it was $1000. he said that that would just have to be my engagement ring. all i could think of was trying to explain to my girlfriends that my engagement ring is actually the tools i need to get back into the ring.

all of the research got me back into the boxing world of sweat enhancers, jump ropes, bloody noses, and exhaustion. but it's not just these things that i think of, but also the smells of the gym and the bags. the sense of pride and confidence, sizing up other people that are checking you out always wondering "what if ___ were to fight ___?" i miss the stupid signs about the size of the fight in the dog and "more sweat means less blood". to think i left that behind in a chapter of my life long since closed and stored away. playing roller derby had it's similarities to boxing: the smells, the egos, the physical pain. but, it was a team support and you learn to rely on the strengths of not only yourself but the other people on your team. in boxing, it's just you versus them. if you don't win, it's because you didn't win not because your jammer was having a bad night. if you won, then it's because you were the better person in the fight. period.

soooooooooo... hopefully, this weekend i'll get my bag back up!!! i'll play some rage ("with the sure shot, sure to make the body drop")!!! and get me a nice work out/tension evaporator!!!

3 comments:

  1. this has nothing to do with boxing. but i was just sitting here today, and thought about something. you have designed tattoos for people right? you obviously TRACED these designs from some where or someone else. poor bastards-thought they were getting something original.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i don't know what tattoos you are talking about. if you're going to come on my blog and leave a shit comment like that and least have the balls to not post anonymously.

    ReplyDelete
  3. michael - i can't believe i was supposed to know it was you! like i said earlier, how did i miss the "poor bastards" -> "Patton" -> michael connection!? silly me. sorry about insulting your man parts and getting angry. you know how gullible i am.

    ReplyDelete