Thursday, June 21, 2012

I made a table. I made a table. I made a table, hey hey hey.

All I needed was to wait for glue to dry and I got bored and impatient. So, I made a table out of 2x4s. I mean the mitre saw was all talking to me and making sweet noises. What were my idle hands to do?! I had my choice of non-treated wood or I could use the treated wood that was spray painted hot pink. Um, hot pink, por favor.

                                                      come to me, Lauren. I'm waiting...

So I cut out all my little blocks on the saw and then glued them to a piece of plywood in a brick pattern. If you look closely, some of them are a little wonky because the 2x4 was warped towards the end. Whatevs, I dig it just the same.


                             "That looks weird," says someone in the shop. "Just wait," said I.

Then I cut it down to size on the vertical Optisaw. And by "size" I really mean that I just cut it down so it actually had 90degree corners. I'm not really one for measuring things. Then I hit it a bunch with a belt sander so that I could smooth out all the pieces. After that I went down in sandpapers on a hand sander until it was super smooth. And hot. Remember: friction makes things hot (rrrwwwarrrr raawwrr). Finally I capped the ends off with some luan and attached that. You know, for that finished look. I got some shine on it with lacquer and brought it home to bring it all together.

 

On my way home I remembered that I wasn't really bringing home a table, I was bringing home something like a cutting board. I needed legs. I went to the hardware store and found no legs that I liked. Then I put it on Euro2012 highlights and found legs that I liked (mmm soccer boy legs...). Just kidding. So while there and being fussy because I couldn't find anything, I had an ah-ha moment! I have a weird plant thingy outside my door that would be perfect. I hurried home with my table-to-be and tried it out. Then I slapped some of my favorite lime green paint on the edges. Brought her upstairs and put some crap on it to stage this photo:

                                oooooooooooooooooooo! Right? I know. What? Humble brag!

I am so in love with this table that it's not even funny. I love the pink poking through. I love the pattern made with the wood grain. I love my favorite color green. I do not love the fact that in my ah-ha moment at the store I forgot that the plant thingy is unfinished on the top. Meaning that my glorious wood top is just resting on four prongs doo-dahs. So now I just need to figure out a better way to attach it. Otherwise, one big kid 24oz Miller High Life might knock it over. And we don't want that: broken tables and High Life everywhere. Let's look at that wood grain again, eh?


So tomorrow, well tomorrow I have some acrylic stuff to work on. We'll see how that works.

No comments:

Post a Comment